Where is context menu of datagrid at design time?

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM
I am using the Jan 2009 wpftoolkit with Visual Studio 2008 Shell.  I see pictures of people who right-click on the datagrid at design time and get a context menu with "DataGrid" as a choice just below "Order".  Mine doesn't do that.  Is there something that has to be turned on to get that or is that something that has changed with the latest release?

Or maybe it is because it is the Shell?
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM
You just need to have the two design.dlls in the same location as the wpftoolkit.dll that you reference.  Is that already the case?
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM
I'm not sure.  What do you mean by "same location"?  Do you mean the files need to be in the same folder?  In the same folder as the app?  Same toolbox group?

Could you elaborate?
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM
For example, by default the toolkit is install in this location:

"..\Program Files\WPF Toolkit\v3.5.<something>\"

In that location wpftoolkit.design.dll and wpftoolkit.visualstudio.design.dll should be there.  Basically, putting those two dlls in the same dir as wpftoolkit.dll should enable the design scenario.
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Apparently not.

They are all in C:\Users\mtiede\Downloads\WPF\WPFToolkit\Toolkit-release\bin\Debug and I rebuilt them yesterday.
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Any more ideas why the context menu isn't showing since it should be able to find all the toolkit assemblies?
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Try installing our MSI first. Then, if you want, copy the debug binaries that you build into the Program Files\WPF Toolkit\v3.5.xxxxx folder (don't create a new one, just overwrite the existing files). Then, make sure that your project references the version that now appears in the Toolbox. (you might want to start with a clean project first just to ensure that you see the context menu)

Ben
Feb 26, 2009 at 5:07 AM
Hmmph!

Well, I didn't have to do that.  I just downloaded the latest Eco 5 beta and low and behold, the WPF datagrid has the right menu now.  I'm guessing that uninstalling and reinstalling Eco forced Visual Studio 2009 Shell to reload something that managed to fix the context menu. 

So now it works!  Go figure.