RibbonApplicationMenu without Ribbon

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Hi to all,
i'm currently building a prototype for a new application with an ApplicationMenu.
In that application there is no need for a Ribbon, but we will use an RibbonApplicationMenu with a RibbonQuickAccessToolbar.

So here my XAML-Code (only the structure):

ribbon:RibbonWindow x:Class="Client.Window2" [...] Visibility="Visible" Background="GhostWhite" WindowState="Normal" WindowStyle="SingleBorderWindow" MaxWidth="460" MaxHeight="140" WindowStartupLocation="CenterScreen">

<DockPanel x:Name="ContentArea">

<StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal" DockPanel.Dock="Top">
        <ribbon:RibbonApplicationMenu DockPanel.Dock="Top" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Top">
<ribbon:RibbonQuickAccessToolBar CanUserCustomize="False" VerticalAlignment="Top" HorizontalAlignment="Left">

<DockPanel DockPanel.Dock="Top">
<StackPanel x:Name="RecordArea" Width="100" Background="DarkBlue" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" HorizontalAlignment="Left" DockPanel.Dock="Left" Orientation="Vertical"></StackPanel>
<StackPanel x:Name="WorkflowArea" Background="DarkBlue" DockPanel.Dock="Right" Width="100" HorizontalAlignment="Right" Orientation="Vertical"></StackPanel>
<StackPanel x:Name="InfoAudioArea" DockPanel.Dock="Top" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" Width="Auto" Height="Auto" Background="LightCoral" Orientation="Vertical"></StackPanel>

Here the visual result: http://www.flickr.com/photos/99509916@N00/3005427290/sizes/o/

My problem is that the style of the RibbonApplicationMenu changes the size of the other panels (see last screenshot in the picture).

Does anyone know a way to avoid that?

Best regards

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Hi Carsten,

I think you may be in violation of the Office Fluent UI License (which you had to have signed to download the Ribbon) by using pieces of the Ribbon UI without implementing a full Ribbon.  According to the guidelines:

"3. All nine of the following required elements MUST be implemented if any one of the elements is implemented: Application Menu, Ribbon, Tabs, Groups, Controls, Ribbon Resizing, Quick Access Toolbar, Visual Appearance, and Keyboard Access. "

Before you spend the time implementing this feature, I would recommend that you contact the Office UI Licensing team to double-check if using these features is within the guidelines or not.  Their email address is: officeui@microsoft.com.  You're welcome to use the RibbonWindow to achieve integration with the non-client area, and perhaps you can create your own button/menu, but I would definitely clear this with Office before you do any of the work.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Hi Samantha,
thanks for your answer.

That's right but in the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc872782.aspx#applicationbuttons i found that statement:
"Application buttons may be used without Ribbons. While Ribbons always have Application buttons, you may use an Application button without a Ribbon for programs such as document viewers or browsers. These are programs that use files but have few commands that modify their content."

So it's a little bit confusing.
I will contact the Office UI Licensing team to get a statement...

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM
Ah, I see, I had not seen the article you referenced before you mentioned it.  To be safe, I would recommend that you contact the Office UI Licensing team to confirm.