Future of WPF Toolkit?

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Anyone have an idea when (or even if?) the WPF Toolkit will be updated?

Today (2011-04-02) is the first time I've tried it.  I'm surprised to find out that not only doesn't it build under VS2010 (which has been out for quite a while), but apparently the existing source package (uploaded 2010-03) didn't even build cleanly under VS2008.  (According to this thread http://wpf.codeplex.com/discussions/240272).

This makes me wonder about the level of commitment behind the WPF Toolkit.

Should I just wait for Silverlight 5?  (The main reason I don't just use Silverlight 4 OOB now is that I really want PInvoke, and SL5 is supposed to get that.)

Thanks,
Vic

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM

i would also like to know this... the project seems pretty dead right now :(

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM

See this thread http://wpf.codeplex.com/discussions/230456 on the matter.

A Pete who appears to work for MS ask for patience.

Since that was last october, I won't hold my breath on it :)

Even the Silverlight toolkit has not been updated for almost a year.

I think more and more than the toolkits serve the purpose of driving adoption for a platform and then after that, well...

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Hi fgoulet,

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread, including Pete Brown's
over-5-month-old comment.  Wow, that's _the_ Pete Brown.  Hmmm.  Silence
is itself a message I guess.  Pete is currently working on his
Silverlight-5 book.

Good point about it also being 1 year since the last update of the
Silverlight-Toolkit.  But at least in that case they bothered to
update it for VS2010.

Vic

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Hi Vic,

There is a beta of Silverlight 5 coming next week at Mix 2011.

Providing they realease a new version of the Silverlight Toolkit as well, I suggest you try that before starting your project in WPF.

Fred

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Speaking as a WPF application developer...  At this point, I suggest considering the WPF Toolkit as nothing more than a reference should you be interested in writing your own controls at some point, unless you're willing to fully understand the inner workings and maintain the controls yourself.  Let's face it, developing controls takes significant time, money, and expertise.  Clearly whoever is in charge at Microsoft feels those resources are better spent elsewhere.  Maybe they'll change their mind someday and come back to it, but I wouldn't bet the well-being of my application on it.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM

@fgoulet:
Yes, I'll definitely download the Silverlight 5 beta next week.  As you suggest, perhaps they'll rev the SL Toolkit (and maybe even the WPF Toolkit) at that time. 

@tgrand:
"... nothing more than a reference ..."

Yes, I think you're right. 

I've used the Silverlight Toolkit sources a little and found them very helpful for understanding how the DataGrid works.  Even if I never end up using a modified DataGrid, just being able to step through the source, put in tracing, break-points and comments can make it a lot easier to understand why it behaves the way it does in non-vanilla cases.

Vic