DataGrid: Performance benefit of DependencyObjects?

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I'm trying to improve the vertical scrolling performance in the DataGrid I have, and have just about simplified the template as much as I can without totally sacrificing usability. I've read that alot of the performance cost can be due to DataBinding, my classes are generated from a WCF proxy, and implement INotifyPropertyChanged, and I'm using an ObservableCollection, but I'm wondering if I would get a noticeable perf increase if I created new wrapper items that exposed DependencyProperty's off of DependencyObjects for my bound items.

MyItem

MyNewItem : DependencyObject

Age - Dp
Date - Dp

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM

How is your solution comming, I have just started using the data grid, and with 1000 rows and databinding to an object, I am trying to find how to improve the performance of the vertical scrolling.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I punted, it was too much trouble for what seemed like too little results. I enabled column virtualization and tried to simplify my template, not using any alternation indexes anymore. Performance is acceptable with >5000 items now, with about 50 columns all using the template column type. I also saw noticeable perf improvements in the .NET 4.0 version, but of course I can't push that to a production environment yet. Still I think there is more that should be able to be done.