wpftoolkit june 2009 release unable to build the wpftoolkit solution

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'IProvideAttributeTable' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\WPFToolkitBinariesAndSource\WPFToolkitBinariesAndSource\Toolkit-release\DataVisualization.Design\MetadataRegistration.cs 22 67 Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design

Error 2 The type or namespace name 'ProvideMetadata' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\WPFToolkitBinariesAndSource\WPFToolkitBinariesAndSource\Toolkit-release\DataVisualization.Design\MetadataRegistration.cs 15 12 Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Hi Srini,

I am also facing the same problem as mentioned above If you have any findings please reply.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Hi,

I don't recall the specific details right now, but the problem you're hitting sounds very much like what I discuss in my blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/delay/archive/2009/06/25/wpf-charting-it-s-official-june-2009-release-of-the-wpf-toolkit-is-now-available.aspx

Specifically:

Build Notes

If you plan to recompile the WPF Toolkit from source, please be aware that two of the three Charting design-time assemblies reference Blend 3 DLLs Microsoft.Windows.Design.Extensibility.dll and Microsoft.Windows.Design.Interaction.dll. Unlike their Visual Studio counterparts, these design-time assemblies are not automatically found by the build and their absence causes 84 build errors in the Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design and Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Expression.Design projects. :(

Most people won't care about building the Blend-specific design-time assemblies and can simply right-click the two failing projects in Visual Studio and choose "Unload Project". After that, everything builds successfully.

Alternatively, users with Blend installed can update these projects' references to both assemblies and then everything (including the Blend design-time assemblies!) builds successfully. The default location of the Blend assemblies is something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 3 Beta. (If you're on a 32-bit OS, remove the " x86"; once Blend releases, remove the " Beta".

Sorry for the inconvenience - we didn't want to ship pre-release Blend components with the WPF Toolkit.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I've got Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and 2010, I've got Blend 3 (Release version). And I'm using Feb'2010 toolkit sources.

Still getting errors :-(

The type 'Microsoft.Windows.Design.Metadata.AttributeTableBuilder'
  exists in both

'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 3\Microsoft.Windows.Design.Extensibility\Microsoft.Windows.Design.Extensibility.dll'

and

'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Windows.Design.dll'

In order to fix I need to randomly flip VS/Blend references in different projects, it's quite unstable and bound to break for others, even within my own team I'm likely to see it biting me back.

Can you please take care of that, I mean it's not that some pre-release components stopping you anymore, is it?