ironically I went back to thinking at the lower lvl and figured out a solution was to have my business layer to provide the means to translate into the values through some looping, not elegant enough for me and it wasn't very pretty nor a good means of performance,
2 for loops == bad form.. I thought about IValueConverter ( to expensive for database calls). Then I thought even lower... SPROCs... I can write the SPROC to pull the exact data I need while translating at the server lvl... Ah
SO in the end I used the database to do the work of presenting the correct data without having extra overhead to make the datagrid show no more than I needed! And modified my datamodel accordingly.
Also I am doing this via MVVM pattern and using a framework that Sacha Barber developed.