DataGrid & Foreign Keys

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

What is the best solution for displaying row values based on foreign keys?  I am not entering data in this particular datagrid, so a combobox isn't being used.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I have the same problem.
Is it possible to display the classic situation "Orders" and "CustomersName" via foreign key?
The DataGrid is bound directly to a table of a strongly typed DataSet.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

ironically I went back to thinking at the lower lvl and figured out a solution was to have my business layer to provide the means to translate into the values through some looping, not elegant enough for me and it wasn't very pretty nor a good means of performance, 2 for loops == bad form..  I thought about IValueConverter ( to expensive for database calls).  Then I thought even lower...  SPROCs... I can write the SPROC to pull the exact data I need while translating at the server lvl...   Ah ha!!!...

SO in the end I used the database to do the work of presenting the correct data without having extra overhead to make the datagrid show no more than I needed!  And modified my datamodel accordingly. 

Also I am doing this via MVVM pattern and using a framework that Sacha Barber developed.