Binding Visibility of a DataGridTemplateColumn to a dependency property in XAML

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM
I have a WPF Usercontrol that has a WPF toolkit datagrid.  The usercontrol exposes a dependency property of type visibility

In XAML, I am trying to bind the Visibility property on a DataGridTemplateColumn to the dependency property. However, it cannot seem to find it.  Can anyone help? I have been banging my head on this one for several hours...

<tk:DataGridTemplateColumn Header="Account" Visibility="{Binding RelativeSource={RelativeSource FindAncestor, AncestorType={x:Type UserControl}}, Path=CanSupportAccount, diagnostics:PresentationTraceSources.TraceLevel=High}" CellTemplate="{StaticResource AccountCellTemplate}"CellEditingTemplate="{StaticResource AccountCellTemplate}"/>

And in the codebehind:
public static DependencyProperty CanSupportAccountProperty;

public
Visibility CanSupportAccount{get{return (Visibility)GetValue(CanSupportAccountProperty);}
set{SetValue(CanSupportAccountProperty, value);}}

CanSupportAccountProperty =

DependencyProperty.Register("CanSupportAccount", typeof(Visibility),typeof(CheckpointsGrid));

I have also tried to use my control in the FindAncestor attribute of the binding statement i.e.

Visibility="{Binding RelativeSource={RelativeSource Mode=FindAncestor, AncestorType={x:Type SharedControls:CheckpointsGrid}}, Path=CanSupportAccount, diagnostics:PresentationTraceSources.TraceLevel=High}"

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate help! I admit defeat!
Thanks so much.

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Columns are not actually part of the visual tree and that's why it cannot find your UserControl in the binding.  There is a workaround to get the DataContext to the columns, http://blogs.msdn.com/jaimer/archive/2008/11/22/forwarding-the-datagrid-s-datacontext-to-its-columns.aspx.  However, having the datacontext will not help if you are trying to bind to Visuals.  You may want to have that CanSupportAccount DP in a viewmodel instead of another UserControl.
Mar 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM
First of all, thank you! I am still quite new to this. I do understand your answer. Based on this information, is it impossible to do the following:
1. I have a DataTemplate that contains a ComboBox for my DataGridTemplateColumn.
2. The DataContext (which has my instance of my Controller) is inherited from the parent and used so that the ComboBox's SelectedValue={Binding Path=Routing.Type, Mode=TwoWay, UpdateSourceTrigger=PropertyChanged} can function. It does so beautifully.

The ItemsSource is from an XMLDataProvider. However, the XPath varies (this is a reusable control). Therefore, I thought I could create a dependency property, i.e. RoutingTypeXPath and reset the binding in the code behind when I get notification that the dependency property has
changed..

The combo box in the datatemplate has the following for binding
ItemsSource="{Binding Source={StaticResource XMLRoutingDS}, Mode=OneWay, Path=RoutingTypeXPath, UpdateSourceTrigger=PropertyChanged}"

And in a non-static method after my event in the code behind fires when the DP changes, I basically do a::

XMLDataProvider xmlDP=TryFindResource("XmlRoutingData") as XMLDataProvider;
if (xmlDP != null)
{
    xmlDP.Source = new URI (etc);
   xmlDP.XPath = RoutingTypeXPath;
}

It looks like good code to me. :-)....I also tried to create a new binding for the combobox,  but because it is in a datatemplate, I do not think I can get to it.  And, as I said,  I cannot use the datacontext because that is already used.

Would greatly appeciate your help (again). THANKS!
:-)