installation launch condition to check for WPF Toolkit

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM
How would i in a VS2008 Setup and Deployment project set a launch condition to check for .NET 3.5 SP1 and WPFToolkit?

Setting the lauch condition to check for the prior installation of .NET is a lauch condition item that can be chosen, then there
is even a drop down list with installed version numbers, that can be set and check for.

But not SP1 ... and not WPFToolkit.

So how would i sort this one out? ... if the WPF app gets any installed without these prerequisites, the user clicks the app icon but "nothing" happens.  It probably crashes during the creation of the startup UI.

Thanks,
Paul
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM
For WPF Toolkit, we recommend that you ship the assembly in your setup package since it is not installed as a system component (i.e. not in the Global Assembly Cache).
However, you can check the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders\WPF Toolkit v3.5.40128.1 (change the version number to match the version of the toolkit you want) to see if our MSI was installed on the system.

I haven't checked, but after installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1, it might check for 3.5 SP1, but I'm not sure.

If you want to check registry keys manually, .NET 3.5 SP1 ships as either the full package or a Client Profile (a subset).

For the full package:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5
Value "SP" should be set.

For Client Profile:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\DotNetClient\v3.5
Value "SP" should be set.

Ben