VisualStateManager - Roadmap/Stability/Updates?

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM
We are currently evaluating using the VisualStateManager for a project we are working on.  I have a few questions that have come up during this evaluation:

How stable is the current release of the VSM?
Would it be wise to adopt the VSM now or is it going to drastically change in the .NET 4.0 release?
Are there any planned updates between now and .NET 4.0 for the VSM?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent Schooley
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:20 PM
Why on earth would you use the VSM in a WPF application?
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Hi Brent,

At this point in time VSM is available through the WPFToolKit.  This release of the VSM offers alot of great features and also closes the compatibility gap between Silverlight and WPF, because Silverlight doesn't have triggers.  However, I do not recommend shipping VSM in production code at this point.  I personally suggest you wait and adopt VSM from the .NET 4.0 release.  Our goal for VSM in the .NET 4.0 is to migrate the state-change logic from the behavior classes into the controls themselves, similar to that in Silverlight today.  Additionally, you may want to take note of an issue that's come up with the current version of VSM.  You can read about it here:

http://www.codeplex.com/wpf/Wiki/View.aspx?title=VSM%20Memory%20Leak

I hope that helps you with your project Brent.

Regards,
Saied Khanahmadi
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:46 AM
"Why on earth would you use the VSM in a WPF application? "

Why not?  The goals for VSM in SL are not different from WPF.  You can read more on it here, http://electricbeach.org/?p=100.
Jan 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM
@Saied - Thanks for your feedback.  That's exactly the information I needed.

@Divelements - Please step away from the flamethrower.  Designers and developers have different needs.  Triggers and VSM both have a place in WPF and Silverlight for sure.

@vinsibal - Thank you for the link.  I had not seen that article and it may help me with talking about VSM to some of the others on my team.

Thanks,
Brent Schooley