Building release code based on WPF Ribbon CTP

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Hello,

I read on these forums that Microsoft prohibit applications from being released using the current implementation of the WPF Ribbon CTP.  Is this true?

We're looking to release a product around Q3/Q4 2009.  Can anyone comment one whether we would be able to use the Microsoft implementation of the WPF Ribbon by then?  Is it likely to be the case that the Microsoft WPF Ribbon control cannot be used in a commercial application until Visual Studio 2010 is released?

The application that I'm hoping to use a ribbon for is a small graphical utility that is shipped as a (free of additional charge) companion to our main product.

Thanks,

Daniel
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM
Hi Daniel,

Yes, that is correct, the Ribbon CTP is not licensed for distribution.  However, V1 will definitely be available in time for your application.  We are looking to release V1 in mid-2009.

Thanks!
Samantha
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM
Thanks Samantha,

I'll look forward to Ribbon v1 some time next year then,

Daniel
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM
Will the Ribbon be part of .Net 4?  Or will it still be separate?
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM
It will be separate.
Dec 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Hi,

Will I be able to distribute a beta (or preview) version of my application before ribbon V1?

Thanks,
Alex
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately I believe the Ribbon CTP license precludes you from doing this.  The WPF Ribbon is still missing some required features, so you would be in violation of the Office UI License if you shipped an application (I believe even if it’s a beta or preview version) using the current version of Ribbon.

Thanks,

Samantha

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM
Hi Samantha,

Are you planning another CTP/Beta before V1?

We are not planning to release our product before your planned release of the WPF Ribbon V1, but the lack of features in the current CTP mean we can't really get anywhere near the UI we want during development. Our current thinking is that if we do decide to have a ribbon in our UI, we will need to buy a third party component.

Thanks,
James
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM
Hi James,

We are considering releasing another update before V1 since we're making some major changes to the control (namely, getting rid of RibbonCommand moving the associated properties on the RibbonButton, RibbonCheckBox, and other Ribbon controls), but we don't have any set plans yet.  Even if we do release an update, it wouldn't be for another couple months, so a potential update may not arrive soon enough for your project schedule.  In short, I wouldn't want you to count on getting another CTP before V1 because there's a chance that may not happen, so if you're dependent on needing an update, I would encourage you to check out the third party solutions.

Thanks,
Samantha
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM
Thanks for the info, Samantha.

It's particularly interesting that RibbonCommand will (probably) be going away. It might be useful to mention this fairly prominently somewhere, as converting XAML with RibbonCommands to XAML with the properties on the controls isn't trivial (I've tried to do the opposite when I inherited a prototype that had been built using an eval copy of the the Actipro Ribbon).

BTW, if you look at my other recent posts you'll see that I've been concerned about how to hook up RibbonCommands to existing ICommand instances, so if RibbonCommand is going away then I guess my problems there will go away with it. :-)

Thanks again,
James
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Hi James,

Yes, that's a good point - I'll add a notice to the download page for Ribbon.

Yup, one of the reasons we decided to get rid of RibbonCommands was because of the difficulty of using RibbonCommand with existing ICommand instances.  The other main reason was to make sure that we had good tooling support in Blend and the VS Designer (Cider).

Thanks for your feedback!
Samantha