CandlestickSeries - Making custom Chart Series & DataPoint types.

May 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Edited May 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to create my own custom chart Series & DataPoint types. Namely, the CandlestickSeries and the CandlestickDataPoint, which will inherit from DataPointSingleSeriesWithAxes and DataPoint respectively.

I am essentially implementing the idea done by someone with the Silverlight Toolkit:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/silverlight/SLTCandlestickChart2.aspx

However, I wish to implement this from my project without changing the WPF Toolkit library.

The first problem I encountered was being unable to access the internal properties and functions of the toolkit library. For example, the DataPoint has a [TemplateVisualState(Name = DataPoint.StateCommonNormal, GroupName = DataPoint.GroupCommonStates)] which refers to the internal StateCommonNormal or DataPoint that I cannot access from my project.

And then secondly, if I just ignore these VSM states by commenting them out the project will compile and the application seems to run fine but I don't see any actual datapoints being graphed so I'm pretty sure that I absolutely need these states?

Is it by design that new series and datapoints can't be added from other projects? Is there any suggestion to get around this or some best practices / steps when implementing new Series & DataPoint types?

Thanks!