Chart. How to control frequency of X-Axis marks?

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I badly need to set one of my charts X-Axis marks frequency.. It tries to display every data point and even with Font=6 and stretch across 3 monitors doesnt let me read the lables!

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM

If I understand you correctly you want to hide some of your datapoints?

Like every second datapoint... of course depending on your available space and amount of datapoints.

Sadly I don't think there's a feature build in the chartingtoolkit so you would have to write your own Style that does that...

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM
No I need to hide some of the marks (by marks I mean vertical lines with label on the end which tells the X value of data point). In Y-Axis you can set Interval property I believe to control this. In X-Axis I havent found anything....
Mar 22, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I guess your X-Axis is a category axis?

Hiding the label is basically the same deal, you need somehow to decide which datapoints (I mean the labels of which datapoints) to hide, make a property for that in your ViewModel and make a Style for the AxisLabel control Binding to that...

The mark itself is a bit more complicated, there is the MajorTickMarkStyle-Property on your Axis but it is the same for every label... I'm not quite sure how I would approach that.
But maybe it's okay to leave the marks itself.

I've evaluated the usability another diagram which hid many of the label + marks and often the users tended to think that there's not more data available, so it should made be visible somehow that there's more data.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM

yes it is category axis... Ernii as long as you are in this business I really would recommend to look at existing graphing software. like Matlab or simpler like etc... Not diagramms.. the end-users are not programmers, they dont care about diagramms. they want something and this is already a common knowledge what they want.

All things are already solved. No need to reinvent the wheel. get yourself a demo and play for half an hour.

If you dont comply users will trun to another product very quick.

Re: marks - axis must scale itself to accomodate marks in a fashion that all marks are readable. for that an axis must reduce number of marks as much as it takes. there is no other solution in the whole wide world.