February 2010 Toolkit release will not build

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I downloaded the new release of the WPF Toolkit (sources) and  get the following build error.

I an using WinXP, VS2008 and .NET 3.5 SP1.

Any help wil be treatly appreciated.

------ Build started: Project: Controls.Layout.Toolkit.Design, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE /reference:"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Windows.Design.dll" /reference:"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Windows.Design.Extensibility.dll" /reference:"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Windows.Design.Interaction.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationCore.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationFramework.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Core.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll" /reference:C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /reference:C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /reference:Silverlight=D:\WpfToolkit\Source\Layout\bin\Debug\System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit.dll /reference:C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /reference:"C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Xml.Linq.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\WindowsBase.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /filealign:512 /optimize- /out:obj\Debug\System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Toolkit.Design.dll /resource:obj\Debug\System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.Properties.Resources.resources /resource:System.Windows.Controls\Accordion.Icon.12x12.png,System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.System.Windows.Controls.Accordion.Icon.12x12.png /resource:System.Windows.Controls\Accordion.Icon.24x24.png,System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.System.Windows.Controls.Accordion.Icon.24x24.png /resource:System.Windows.Controls\TransitioningContentControl.Icon.12x12.png,System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.System.Windows.Controls.TransitioningContentControl.Icon.12x12.png /resource:System.Windows.Controls\TransitioningContentControl.Icon.24x24.png,System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.System.Windows.Controls.TransitioningContentControl.Icon.24x24.png /resource:System.Windows.Controls.Primitives\ExpandableContentControl.Icon.12x12.png,System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ExpandableContentControl.Icon.12x12.png /resource:System.Windows.Controls.Primitives\ExpandableContentControl.Icon.24x24.png,System.Windows.Controls.Layout.Design.System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ExpandableContentControl.Icon.24x24.png /target:library ..\Common.Design\Extensions.cs ..\Common.Design\EmptyDefaultInitializer.cs ..\Common.Design\MetadataBase.cs ..\Common.Design\TrueIfSelectedDesignModeValueProvider.cs ..\Common.Design\ToolboxCategoryPaths.cs AccordionItemDefaultInitializer.cs AccordionItemIsSelectedDesignModeValueProvider.cs AccordionItemMetadata.cs AccordionMetadata.cs ExpandableContentControlMetadata.cs GlobalSuppressions.cs MetadataRegistration.cs TransitioningContentControlMetadata.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Properties\Resources.Designer.cs

D:\WpfToolkit\Source\Common.Design\TrueIfSelectedDesignModeValueProvider.cs(79,33): error CS0115: 'System.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.TrueIfSelectedDesignModeValueProvider<T>.TranslatePropertyValue(Microsoft.Windows.Design.Model.PropertyIdentifier, object, object)': no suitable method found to override

D:\WpfToolkit\Source\Common.Design\EmptyDefaultInitializer.cs(14,20): error CS0534: 'System.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.EmptyDefaultInitializer' does not implement inherited abstract member 'Microsoft.Windows.Design.Model.DefaultInitializer.InitializeDefaults(Microsoft.Windows.Design.Model.ModelItem)'

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Windows.Design.Extensibility.dll: (Related file)

Compile complete -- 2 errors, 0 warnings

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Building the designer assemblies, which for the new controls only have limited support in VS, is a little tricky because of breaking changes between the VS and Blend versions of the designer assemblies. I wasn't able to repro that particular error, although I did notice that VS picked up the wrong assemblies when I simply loaded the projects in the Codeplex code package, and I suspect something similar might be happening in your case.

To illustrate more specifically the problem, here's the same API with two different method signatures, based on different versions of .Net:

For .Net 3.5: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc703802.aspx

For .Net 4.0: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd493491(VS.100).aspx

If you don't intend to make changes to the designer assemblies, you can safely unload the projects ending in ".Design", ".Expression.Design" and ".VisualStudio.Design". Sorry for the trouble, but hope that helps unblock you!

Patrick

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I never did get a reply to this:

http://wpf.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=85404

But it may resolve your issue.

By the way, there should be no breaking changes to the 3.5 release introduced just because support for 4.0 is being rolled in.  Launch a seperate branch if needed, but keep the release 3.5 branch stable.  Don't force us to switch just because 4.0 is on the main branch internal to Microsoft.  Else you might start seeing forks of WPFToolkit coming from non-Microsoft sources.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

noemata,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not resolve my build problems.  I'm with you, that adding support for 4.0 shouldn't break those of us who are in 3.5, especially since that is the current production release product.  I guess that I will have to live with the June '09 release until I can get some time to dig further into how to solve this problem...ditto on the pain of being an early adopter!

Thanks

Rick

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

When I downloaded the source and opened it in VS 2010, I had to add a reference to Microsoft.Windows.Design to the Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design project. Not a big deal, but just in case anybody else had this problem

nm...it's already documented in the build notes here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/delay/archive/2009/06/25/wpf-charting-it-s-official-june-2009-release-of-the-wpf-toolkit-is-now-available.aspx